Sunday, July 26, 2009

Think Outside of the Box

Weddings are filled with all sorts of traditions….. tossing the bouquet, wearing a veil, cutting the cake, traditional music, and the infamous garter toss to name a few. Brides always ask, “It’s a tradition, do I have to do this?” My answer is, “There are NO rules when it comes to your wedding.” As far as I’m concerned, most tradition can be thrown out the window. I have no problem with it, I wore a white dress on my wedding day and carried flowers, both traditions; but my feeling is unless something is truly meaningful to you and your spouse, why feel the need to do it. I will not knock a Bride for following tradition, but I will certainly encourage her to think outside of the box. My position is simply this, traditions are not mandatory.

Here are a few ideas for thinking outside of the box when it comes to wedding traditions and ceremony music:

Consider walking down the aisle to something non-traditional. I was at a wedding recently where the Bride walked down the aisle to Led Zeppelin’s, “Over the Hills and Far Away”. This has been a favorite song of both the Bride and the Groom forever so it only seemed fitting that they incorporate into their special day and what better way to do it. It was so refreshing to hear something other than the “Bridal March” or “Cannon in D”. On my wedding day, I surprised my husband with a special song. As we walked down the aisle together with our family following behind us, our pianist played Andrea Bocelli’s “Time to Say Goodbye”, one of my husband’s favorites. It was so moving to walk down the aisle to such a meaningful song. And remember, just because you’re getting married in a church doesn’t mean you can’t explore this option. There are plenty of churches that are open to letting you choose music outside of church music or traditional ceremony music. Our church even let our pianist play “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles for our recessional. There are endless possibilities, but here are a few song options for non-traditional ceremony music: “In my Life” The Beatles, “Bright Side of the Road” Van Morrison, “Today” Joshua Radin, “Just Like Heaven” The Cure, “Your Song” Elton John, “Waiting on an Angel” Ben Harper, and of course, “Over the Hills and Far Away” Led Zeppelin.

Have fun with your music search and remember…… there are NO rules. Do what makes you happy and what makes you most comfortable. Do something uniquely you on your special day!

Thanks for tuning in,

Tulip loves you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment